Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 37- My First Diagnosis

 Yesterday I was unable to blog about my day because I didn't get home until midnight and had to be back at the barn very early, so sleep became more important than blog. Yesterday my patient was a 3 day old Longhorn calf (similar to picture), that was abandoned by his mother and not nursing from a bottle. Upon examination my little man had a swollen joint and for once this rotation I immediately knew the answer!!!! When a calf isn't nursing, they are not getting antibodies from the mother and are extremely immuno-compromised which means they are very susceptible to infection. At birth, the umbilical cord is an open door to the bacteria of the outside world. Calves can normally fight off infections of the bacteria from their umbilical cord (navel) with the help of their mothers colostrum (first milk filled with antibodies). If they don't receive the colostrum and have an open door to bacteria they easily get systemic infections and the most common manifestation of this is infection in the joints, also known as Joint Ill or Navel Ill. After diagnosing my patient with Navel Ill, I put in a catheter, pulled some blood to help us define the seriousness of his condition, and gave him IV antibodies we then proceeded to flushing the joint and put antibiotics directly into the joint. Needless to say it was a long day and night, but completely and utterly worth it as I arrived this morning to a bright and alert baby that was ready to drink and play. Not only was this moment rewarding because my patient was doing so much better but I also knew what was wrong him all on my own, it was a " I am gonna be a doctor" moment that I will never forget!
                                                

2 comments:

  1. hi honey - The first blog was wonderful and all of us in OUR family do appreciate the donation to you and your education - BUT most of all we appreciate you and YOUR sacrifice. I'm soooo glad the little calf is going to O K and that you knew what to do for him. You are gonna be a GREAT doc!!!. love you lots nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. udderly amazing! Get it? "udderly" ..

    You are already a great Doc, you've been diagnosing and treating my kids for years and they are pretty close to animals!

    Lastly, this treatment really reinforces the power of breastfeeding!

    ReplyDelete