Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 25- Sleeeeppppyyyyyy

     So this was day number four on the Food Animal Rotation, and also day number four of 15 hour days! Needless to say I have blisters the size of Texas!
    Today I had a shining moment! I walked in after the doctor and student assigned to a goat case had just left the triage area and asked the technician what was going on with the baby goat she was holding. She said that the goat had tremors, arched back and thought he was blind but that the PLR-Pupillary Light Reflex was in tact (this is where you shine a light in their eyes and see if their pupil constricts, if it does it tells you that the nerves are in tact and not the reason for the blindness). I thought to myself man I feel like this could be Polioencephalamalacia (Thiamine Deficiency that causes neurological symptoms and blindness). As I mumbled the impossibly hard to pronounce word to myself the tech said "what did you say?" I said I think it is Polio but I probably shouldn't say that but it just sounds right! The tech then walked out to assist the doctor and later came back and said..."you where right! It was really long Polio word you said!!!!" I was overwhelmed to the point of tears that I diagnosed something all by myself, on the downside NO ONE WAS THERE TO HEAR IT (except for the tech that has no part in the grading system)! That part really sucks, I continue to freeze up when working up my own cases and struggle to be confident when the doctors are present. But I continue to pray every night that the answers will come when I am under pressure and I will get a little more confidence each day!

1 comment:

  1. hi honey - that is a REALLY BIG WORD - but I'm glad you know what it is!! - I know that you are still freezing up - but you will get there -remember last rotation - you felt the same way- you are going to be FINE!! love you lots nana

    ReplyDelete