Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 15- Like Riding a Bike-Not so Much!

     Today was awesome! Today I got to collect my first stallion (colected his semen that is, come on people this is the reproductive medicine rotation, you got to get used to the penis's and vagina's by now!). I wish I could act all brave and say it was awesome, and it was, but it was also SCARY as hell! But, I made it through and collected a great sample of semen that was then shipped accross the USA to make some babies.

     Also,as rotation mates we got to build a breeding protocol for one of the ranch owned pens of cattle using artificial insemination. After a week of using drugs to syncronize their estrus cycles, yesterday we got to AI them in the morning and at night. One of my dearest friends JB and I took an AI certification course in high school so I though it would be a breeze! Unfortunatly after not doing this for 10 years I was more than a little rusty! So I can honestly say that palpating a cows cervex through her rectum and passing a pipet filled with semen was not as easy as it once was, but after three cows I got the hand of it once again!

1 comment:

  1. Hi honey - Yes you are an old hand at that - but it is like riding a bicycle - you may be rusty but you DON'T forget how. You are learning sooo much - and you won't forget how all of this is done. Have a great day! p s the Lady Gators lost - will play again tonight. love you lots - nana

    ReplyDelete