Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 16- He's a Fighter

    I wanted to give everyone an update on little Camel Joe! The equine medicine clinician as well as the students on equine medicine rotation came out to take a look at our little fighter and confirmed that he is showing neurological signs. However, our little Joe is not giving up yet! He continues to put up a huge fight every time we have to give him treatments and is very active and vocal. Tomorrow, the neurologist is coming out to do a full neurological exam and give us a prognosis on little Joe, updates to follow!
    Today I got to palpate some more mares and I am getting more and more comfortable with this everyday. I can still remember my first day where this feat seemed impossible and I never thought I would be as good as the other students on my rotation, but I am quickly making my mark! Today I diagnosed fluid accumulation in a mare's uterus and was able to treat her all on my own, what a great feeling!
    I also got to freeze brand some horses! This is very similar to the traditional hot brand, but you put the branding irons in liquid nitrogen instead of fire!

2 comments:

  1. Hi honey - I am glad you gave us an up date on Camel Joe. Hope he makes it - if he can live a normal life - without disabilities. I'm glad you are feeling so confortable with everything you are doing - now you are ready to move on to something else new. The Lady Gators lost but I guess being #2 in the college world softball series is o k? Have a great day - love you nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog and wonderful up-dates, thank you. It don't get much colder than liquid nitrogen: I would of never knowen that they used that for branding. Keep them coming, they are so interesting. We love you.

    ReplyDelete