Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 26- In the Land of Food Animals

    Today we hit the ground running...literally, I have blisters on top of blisters! First it was a dehorn on a goat that his own horns we attacking him! He had two malformed horns that were growing into his head and face. Then a cow with abscess in her heart and lungs. Then my case, a cow with septic polyarthritis, she had a bacterial infection in both of her stifle joints, most likely from an endocarditis (bacteria in the heart). Then we had a lamb with Lamb-initis (pun intended). Then another case of foot rot, and a cast change on a 2000 pound bull (that was a fun one...LOL). That was followed by an alpaca (attached a picture) with a case of ADR. ADR is my most favorite veterinary term. ADR stand for Ain't Doing Right, and I am not joking! It is a phrase we use for client that can't point out a dominant clinical sign, but the animal is not himself. ADR's usually have a chronic disease that hasn't quit manifested itself but it starting to make the animal feel bad so they don't act right...ADR! Needless to say I sat down for about 10 minutes from 6:30am when I arrived at the barn until I got home at 8:30pm......blisters people big ole greasy blisters!

1 comment:

  1. hi honey - I thought you got a decent pair of shoes and got the Dr.Scholls inserts to go into the shoes - sounds like they ain't workin! How about some heavier socks?? But all in all sounds like you had big variety of things going on - I still didn't know that a Lama and an Alpacka were food animals?? Have a good weekend, love you lots nana

    ReplyDelete