Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 10- Holy Tick

     Today was another great day of learning! Today I learned how to do a uterine culture, a uterine biopsy, and I did another uterine lavage on a mare. I also successfully diagnosed pregnancy on a mare that was only 14 days bred and the embryonic sac was only about the size of a nickle! It was a pretty amazing feeling to know that this time last week I could barely find an ovary and now I am improving so much! Each day I become more familiar and comfortable with the mares heat cycle and how to use the ultrasound machine and the drugs. It is amazing how the "hands on" clinical year really brings everything we have learned together and it is all starting to make sense!
     On a side note, although the OSU ranch is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen with rolling hills and green pastures, it is also the most tick infested place. Almost every cow or horse I palpate has at least one tick on their genitals and sometimes nine or ten ticks! And Chad has had several just from walking around the apartment complex. Last night he found one on my leg and we had to do a true redneck tick check when I got out of the shower!

    

1 comment:

  1. Hi honey - wow day 10!!! seems like yesterday you were writing your blog the day before you started this rotation!! YES you have learned a lot - knew you would!! --- you better be careful of those ticks - Lyme Disease goes along with tick bites - ask your uncle Ned. love you - glad you are having FUN!! lol nana

    ReplyDelete