Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 23- The Pressure is On!

    My only patients today where my llama who is my in house patient. She got weak and couldn't get up after her baby or cria was born. So she had hydrotherapy aka she got to swim last week to strengthen her muscles. Now she just needs help getting up and down occasionally, but it doing much better!
    My out patient today was a momma cow with a swollen foot. Every time the clinician asked me a question my mind went blank!!! Such a frustrating feeling but hopefully I can make it up. On a good note we did a local perfusion nerve block to numb the foot so that we could clean it up! This is where you put a tourniquet on the lower leg and then inject anesthetic into a vein on the foot, so the anesthetic stays in the lower leg because of the tourniquet. So I got to put it in the vein and all my rotation mates, plus a intern, plus the head doctor are all watching, so of course my hands start shaking uncontrollably! So much so that I stabbed myself with the needle just trying to take the cap off. But I just lined up on the foot, closed my eyes and went for it with a big strong jab and WAH-LAH hit the vein first try! THANK GOD! Then my clinician asked me the lamens term for my cows foot condition and again....BLANK...damn you idiot think, I thought to my self...and nothing. Umm yeah it was Foot Rot, could it have been any easier...ole well better day tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. hi honey - sounds like a good ole case of the nerves! BUT if you hadn't had an audience you would have probably said "foot rot" without thinking about it!! Glad the lama is better- but watch the spit - they ALL like to spit! have a great day! love you lots

    ReplyDelete