Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 28- DETERMINATION

     As most of you know, vet school has been a long, hard road for me. I wasn't blessed with genetic intelligence, however I was taught the value of hard work. After 8 year of having adviser's tell me that I would probably never get into vet school I finally found a way. I wish I could say I continued to keep trying without ever wavering from my goal, but there were many nights I cried myself to sleep thinking I couldn't do it and that the adviser's where right and I did need to come up with a back up career plan. My parents. grandparents, sister and husband never lost faith! They continued to push me even when that was the last kind of support I wanted.
    Once I decided to take an alternate route and attend a Caribbean school, I continued to question my abilities. There were many times I thought I would never make it. Many times I had to study twice as hard as the other students in my class to get the same grades. Each semester I wondered if I would make it to the next and after many all night study sessions and undying support from family I would always make it to the next semester.
    My first rotation here at OSU was no different! After the first week, I wondered if I would make it and thought for sure I might fail my first rotation. After a few nights on the brink I tears and feeling like an idiot compared to the other students, I made up my mind that I would make it through my last year the same way I made it through the first 3...HARD WORK. There will always be others that are smarter and better than me, and those things I can't control. But there is one thing I can control....MY DETERMINATION. I knew ...well I hoped...if I worked hard and showed them I wanted to be here as much as anyone that I could eventually catch up with the other students. Yesterday I received my evaluation and grade from my first rotation.......

"Great improvement in skills and knowledge over the rotation; great hustle and determination; great positive mental attitude; infectious enthusiasm; keep working on skill set and knowledge base development; over all very fine job"

GRADE      93.5     A

YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU SET YOUR MIND TO WITH HARD WORK AND DETERMINATION!!!!!!!

I want to dedicate this post to my family and their undying support! Without them I would have never made it this far in life and never achieved my goals. On this fathers day I want to especially thank Daddy, Papa, Jimmy, Chad, Mark, Larry, and Justin, who always told me.....NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. hi honey - that post was wonderful!! BUT I have always told you that "I can't" is just not something you understand in your vocabulary! We are sooo very proud of you, BUT you know what - we would just as proud of you in whatever other vocation you chose. We all love you and support you in WHATEVER you want - don't forget this ever. Love you nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cried. I am so proud of you. You are right NEVER GIVE UP and with HARD WORK AND DETERMINATION you will be a DVM. Love ya Sista

    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you LuJean! You have always had a hard time having the confidence in yourself that others saw in you. You are a very special young lady with a God given talent to be a special Vet. God doesn't make mistakes and helped you in your choices. Never doubted you for a minute after I met you. Love you my sweet friend.
    Ms Lori

    ReplyDelete