Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 17- Perseverance


     Today was a great learning experience as always! This afternoon we got the opportunity to learn how to do fetal sexing on cows. This is where you scan the fetus with the ultrasound probe and look for signs of sexual development. In males (TOP PICTURE) you can see a small appendage near the attachment of the umbilical cord, that appendage being the sheath of the penis. I told you people that you had to get comfortable with saying penis and vagina while I am on the reproductive medicine rotation, don't worry you only have to listen to it for a few more days! So back to the penis, if you look closely at the picture you will see an oblong thing sticking up on the top right of the fetus, that is umbilical cord. Then at the base of the cord on the right, there is a little something sticking off, that would be sheath, this = male! On heifers (BOTTOM PICTURE) you can see tiny points between their back legs, this is their utter and teats developing (Look on the left of the picture and you will see the legs sticking out like a toilet bowl view and right between the legs some pointy structures...teats!!!
      My second cow today gave me quit a hard time and was about to squeeze my arm off and continued to constantly poop all over me...literally! I was starting to get frustrated and down on myself and my abilities when my clinician said..."Anyone that covered in shit and is still doing her best to find the fetus gets an A for the day!" So I guess perseverance paid off today and I can always go back to the old saying...There are three things in life that allow you to succeed when you think it is impossible...those three things are...."Never give up, Never give up, and NEVER GIVE UP! (Justin Heimer)
     Needless to say I was completely covered in manure when I got home from today's lesson. I am embarrassed to say when I came home and went to give Chad a greeting kiss and he said I had manure on my lips!

1 comment:

  1. hi honey - glad you could see all that "stuff" you have better trained eyes - and this is not the first time you have gone home with manure all over you! Remember the time you jumped in your mom's pool clothes and all! She was not a happy camper - had to clean pool etc. but you had a great time! Have a great day - love you nana

    ReplyDelete