Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 61- 62 Three Pigeons

     So far I am love love loving my equine medicine rotation. Like Food Animal Medicine I see things daily that I am dying to get my hands on! Yesterday was an interesting day of threes. We saw three appointments and all three were presenting for the same complaint, an abscess on the chest region. This is a very common presentation for Pigeon Fever, which is a systemic bacteria that results in an abscess formation over the pectoral muscles of the chest! The treatment is an anti-inflammatory medication and sedation to lance open the abscess so that it can drain. This doesn't sound like much fun, but really it is! Lancing open a oowy gooey pus filled mass is nothing but fun!
                         
     Today, we have an appointment for a mare that has had re-occurring abortions. I am very excited to work this up as it will be challenging and very interesting! So this case is TO BE CONTINUED....

1 comment:

  1. hi honey - very interesting - but what do the pigeons have to do with the abscess??Just a name??? but the mare with the problem - yes let us know what the answer to the problem is. I am soooo glad you love this rotation (you loved all of them) and know that you will have loads of fun in this rotation. Love you lots nana

    ReplyDelete