Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 48- My Little Fighter

    Today we did our two big surgeries- screws and wires into the legs of our little knock kneed foal, who is doing very well so far. And we removed an ovary using a laproscope (camera) that was inflammed and had adhered itself to the body wall making it non-functional. Both surgeries went very well and I was so suprised how much more comfortable I was on the other side of the tracks again- that being the food animal side!
    Unfortunatly my little longhorn calf is back in the hospital. As like most cases of Navel Ill (where the calf gets an infection in the joints that was spread from the umbilical cord), the infection usually spreads to all the joints. Initially when the calf was first admitted at only 3 days old, only one joint was infected. Sadly only a week after being sent home our little fighter was back with other joints now swollen and sore. Although we new this could happen everyone was sad to see our little man feeling so bad again. Everytime I here his little moo's from the other side of the wall as, my heart just melts. I was able to sneak away from the equine side of the barn a couple times today to visit my little man!

1 comment:

  1. hi honey - sounds like the little calf is really having a hard time. But the other two surgeries must have gone well. Just think you are half-way through this rotation - time is really flying by. Hope you are still rested and will have another breather this weekend. Love you lots, nana

    ReplyDelete