Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 55-56 Balls of Fire

     Yesterday was a late night as will be tonight on Equine Surgery. I arrived yesterday morning and was informed a yearling calf was being hauled in with a severely broken leg and that because of the difficulty of the surgery the equine surgery team would be taking the case, so of course I immediately called dibs! When the calf arrived it was very apparent how broken her leg was as pieces of the bone were sticking out through the skin! After radiographs, we were all shocked at the severity of the break (it looked something like this picture, but even worse!)

So after a very long surgery of placing pins through the bone and putting on a giant cast we finally got the calf back to her stall and I got home around 9pm.
      Today will be no exception to the long day rule. We had 3 surgeries today. A laproscopic ovarian tumor removal on a Fjord pony (very rare Norwegian breed - see picture!)

Then we proceeded to cutting out a tumor on the epiglottis of a stallion with the endoscopic laser. He fainted while in the surgery stocks so that was fun and exciting! Then I got to do my first castration! I know it shouldn't be so fun to cut off some balls but really...it is! The horse woke up nicely from surgery and went home a few hours later! Tonight I am on ICU shift which means I have to stay at the barn until midnight and check on the horses every hour and give medications when needed. Needless to say it makes for a long...long day.

1 comment:

  1. hi honey - Ug what a day that was!! No wonder you didn't blog - day tooooo long. Hope that you get some rest this weekend. Will the next rotation be as long and tiring for you??? As much as I love to pull up your blog on this ole puter - I know that you are mostly exhusted at the end of each day - soooo just you rest when you can. Love you lots nana

    ReplyDelete