Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 85 Buffalo Bill

    Well I survived my first week as an extern with the feedlot vet. This week we traveled to Colorado and Nebraska as well as Kansas. The days are long and there is alot, and I mean alot of driving. Most feedyards he services are between a 2 to 3 hours drive from the house. This means early rising, I get up every morning at 4:15 am and we pull out by 5:30am. During the day we ride through the feedyards and look over each pen of cows, the yards we service hold about 12,000 head of cows on feed. Then we head home and usually get back around 6pm.
    One of the things I am enjoying the most is learning the history of the wild west. As you enter the town of Oakley, Ks there is a large statue of Buffalo Bill shooting a buffalo. I asked about the history behind the statue yesterday. When the west was being populated by settlers there were two men going by the name buffalo bill and neither was happy about the other. So they decided to have a duel, whoever could shoot the most wild buffalo in one day would win the name Buffalo Bill. One cowboy decided to round up the wild buffalo and ride along the outside shooting them, the other ran them down one by one, obviously not using cowboy skills and ended up taking less buffalo. And that is how the famous Buffalo Bill got his name and this hunt happened just outside of town!

   

1 comment:

  1. Hey Luder! You are doing AWESOME! I just love you and your blog! I keep thinking you would do so good out here as a vet! Hint, hint!
    Did you know that Buffalo Bill Cody has decendants in Babson Park of all places! Cody Cove and Cody Villa are named after the family on Crooked Lake. My sister Jenni was good friends with Miss Cody and after she past gave her a bunch of memorabilla. Small world huh!
    I would love to have your address and contact info if you can give it to me. Keep up the good work girl. And don't sweat the tests. You have come so far and you have a great attitude. There is a plan from up above and you will be where you need to be when you get there!- Love you - Ali Welborn Riordan

    ReplyDelete