Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 101- TexASS

      Today was my first day on my externship in what will forever be known to me as TexASS, because I saw a whole lots of ass today, that is pretty much the only thing I saw! By that I mean I spent the day palpating cows. I am doing an externship with a practice composed of three veterinarians who mostly service the dairies in this part of the state. Today we went to a dairy sale and we were in charge of aging (done by looking at the teeth) and pregnancy checking all the cows that went through the sale. If I tried to arm wrestle a three year old right now I would loose miserably. My arm is sore and swollen after shoving it up about 100 cows TexASS's! But I learned how to draw blood from the tail vein with my right hand while palpating little growing fetus's per rectum with my left hand....skills people....I got MULTIPLE skills!
     My living quarters are a small room much like a closet with a twin bed, mini fridge and TV. I was glad to get in some hard work today in hopes that I would sleep better tonight than last night. Between the busy road out front, being in a strange place, and the thoughts of my very bad decision to walk bare foot through the clinic to the shower on the other side of the building, I didn't get much sleep last night.


1 comment:

  1. Hi honey - I told you last week when you decided not to EVER be a feed lot vet - that the things to come were also going to be a lot of fun - ha ha - anyway just think how much you are learning and in a couple of weeks you will be here in Florida for more new things to have fun with!!!! love you lots
    p s glas you have time to blog again!!! lol nana

    ReplyDelete