Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 8- I Survived Week 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     Survival is the key to being successful this year! After being the underdog all week I have had to accept that I may never be leading the pack in this rotation and have forced myself to be happy with survival. But, survival isn't so bad! I have learned so much already that I have to believe that survival is what I need to strive for, and if I struggle like I have this past week than so be it, and if I manage to be the best in my rotation than great but if I am not, I am still learning and still becoming a vet, and that is what it is all about folks!
    Some sad news....yesterday we lost a foal. He had been running a fever that was getting progressively worse every afternoon and finally peaked at 108 yesterday causing him to have a seizure and we ended up having to put him down. After his necropsy exam we learned he had a lung infection that caused an abscess to form in his lungs.
    Some happy news...last Wed. we did an embryo flush on a draft mare and got 3 embryos! This is an exceptional flush for horses who rarely give more than 1 or 2 embryos. Then we put the 3 microscopic babies into 3 adopted mustangs. Today we ultra sounded the mustangs and all three we pregnant! This is super successful and rarely happens, so that was an awesome surprise this morning!
    I really wanted to thank everyone who leaves comments..especially my Nana. It has been hard this week to remember to write something on here even when I am super tired, but when I get comments, especially from my grandmother who has never ending support for me in this endeavor, the excitement and motivation of the comments gives me the energy to write something even when I am exhausted!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi honey - this post was soooo interesting! but am sorry that the colt died. Was this the new colt you were bottle feeding? And don't you ever think I'm not going to post! if this ole puter works - nana is going to read your blog and post a comment!! love you lots - p s you are learning sooo much - ain't that great?? lol nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Luder! You are doing an awesome job and I am so proud of you. ((((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete