Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 4- Risky Business

     Not too much excitement for me today. I am still struggling in palpation and ultra sounding the mares, and it is very hard to overcome to frustration but I keep praying that I will eventually get it if I just keep trying! Other than that I gave a mare an IV injection, lots of work with the foals, washed a penis (it doesn't sound that excited but when a huge stallion is kicking and screaming and you have to crab his penis that is between the legs that are kicking it is pretty hard (intended). I also saw a tarantula today, I wish I was joking but unfortunately I am not. And I mean a real look me in the eye, fanged, full bodied monster of a spider tarantula.  I am still at the barn now on foal watch and it is 10pm and if it wasn't for the thought of the tarantula I might be worried about falling asleep in one of the stalls.
     Although my day wasn't filled with exciting first, I can't say the same for one of our resident vets. As he was palpating one of our mares she managed to kick up over the gate of the palpation stocks with both feet and catch him in the face. Luckily he didn't get badly injured, just a very swollen face and a hoof shaped cut on his cheek. Needless to say it reminds me how risky and dangerous this business can be. I have been up the rump of a mare tons of times just in the last 4 days and never thought for a second that she could kick over that gate, so today was a life lesson for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Hi honey - I turn this ole puter on first thing each morning just to read your blog!! It is great and you are doing great!! Heard those spiders are BIG! Love you lots - p s glad your mare's eye is better. lol nana

    ReplyDelete